Monday, June 10, 2013

Week 20: Get Excited

Dr. Hanson observes that our natural ability to feel excitement can get extinguished by "wet blankets"--the sourpusses in life that tell us to settle down and put a lid on it. How tedious! Excitement is a natural state for children and reclaiming our enthusiasm and positive energy is a worthwhile goal.

For me, I find excitement in travelling and going new places. I love the planning, the preparation, and the packing. I even like going through security--I pass through the gate with reverence and anticipation. And then we are off! I have had good arrivals and some not so good, but I have always worked out the difficulties and felt all the more satisfied for the adventure of it all.

One thing I have noticed is that travelling alone is especially satisfying because I don't have to deal with the limitations created by being with others with less enthusiasm, interest and curiosity. There is no apologizing for wanting to see one more thing or worrying about creating inconvenience for others.

Many people forego travel, however, because they feel awkward or afraid to go alone. They live with dull routines rather than take a risk. While we all differ in our capacity for risk-taking, sometimes we do need to push outside our comfort zones to recapture zest for living.

Maybe it is beyond your means to travel internationally, but you can try something new locally or regionally. Sign up for a class or a field trip or an excursion. The strangers you meet are just friends you haven't met yet.

My mother has said for years that she wanted to go to Italy and she never has. Unfortunately she may have missed her chance as ill health changes her options. Don't wait--find a little excitement everyday and don't let anyone rain on your parade.